Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Eitorf

Valley and I are now visiting my Father's mother's side of the family (Kreuzer). They live approximately 50 kms east of Köln in Eitorf. They live in the central building of a Castle estate in the 13th century. In other words the building is 800 years old and there are 5 levels. The castle is surrounded by a mote and Jorg (My fathers cousin)is restoring the grounds to a real estate once again. The stable has been converted into garages and apartments for. There are 8 members of the household. My great uncle Joseph, my father's cousin Jorg and his wife Betty, 4 children, and Gita the cook/housekeeper/aid (one of the family really).

Jorg has shown us incredible hospitality, taking us out to a traditional German restaurant in Köln. We sat at the same table as Bill Clinton when he was in Köln. We have been drinking lots of Kölsch (local beer) and eating traditional food. I have not had a Berliner (jelly donut) I like as much as the ones from Orono bakery.

At the Kreuzer Castle (berg)


No comments: